General — CancerLyfe

General

How was your experience with losing your hair (if you did)? Was it a big deal for you?

erperezPatient
Updated January 20, 2023 in General

For me, it wasn't as hard as I thought until later in treatment when not only was I bald, but I started to "look" sick. It was a hard pill to swallow.

1 - 8 of 8 Other Answers

• MalindaPatient

It ended up being easier than I thought. When it started to come out I just shaved it. I found that easier than it falling out in huge clumps

January 7, 2023
  • HeatherVSJPatient

I was a hairdresser pre-cancer, and I joked that bald was the only hair color I've never had, so I really wasn't worried about losing it. Then, ironically enough, I found out that the chemo for my cancer doesn't cause hair loss. It thinned out a little, but I never really lost it. This led to interesting comments from a former co-worker who accused me of faking my cancer for attention because she KNEW everyone lost their hair during chemo. I mean, what can you say to someone like that?

January 25, 2023
  • erperezPatient

You’re kidding! I can’t imagine such audacity, I’m sorry you had to experience that. Cancer already comes with so much emotional damage and the last thing we need is added damage from insensitive people.

I was bald bald, so rude.

January 26, 2023
  • erperezPatient

I agree Malinda, I never felt any less than because of my hair loss, I did struggle with it because of the reason behind it but not the loss itself. Did anyone in your support system shave their head to show support?

January 26, 2023
  • LilmesicanExpert
    Care Partner

Hair Loss

I started to lose my hair halfway through my treatment.

I have had the same hairstylist for about 14 years and when it was time to shave my head she came to my house and did it here.

Then when it started to grow back she did the first trim.

I love the new hair!

February 2, 2023
  • Before I had even gotten my DX, my hair used to be so thick and long. It would snap a hair tie anytime I tried to pull it back. As I got sicker, and doctors still ignoring my symptoms and concerns, my hair started falling out in chunks. I would spend hours crying in the shower because I thought my beauty was wrapped in societal standards. I was almost completely bald before I received my cancer diagnosis and was floored by the weight lifted (quite literally) off my body both being bald and finally having a diagnosis that was causing chaos in my body. My migraines were lifted slightly after having no hair. The pressure of people asking if I was going to wear a wig (which is quite atrocious to ask someone who has terminal cancer) took a toll on my mental health. I didn’t and will not because from “losing” what I thought made me feel beautiful, actually shifted my perspective on what was happening to my physical health and wanted to break the stigma of society norms and beliefs.

I wear my bald head proudly now, after realizing that I am battling cancer, one that is considered terminal, and as a young adult who was ignored for years because my symptoms didn’t match the age requirement of this cancer. I always got “you’re too young, pretty, overdramatizing,” etc… that many doctors ignored my hair loss (before my DX). Now when my eyelashes and eyebrows went, that was a very hard pill to swallow just because I was used to what my face looked like before getting sick.

After several cycles of chemo, bone marrow transplants, and transfusions my itty bitty eye brows and lashes began to grow back while still undergoing treatment. I then was accused for faking cancer (wtheck) from hair coming back. So many people are ignorant of what and how treatments affect everyone differently.

Truly, losing my hair at first was devastating for me but I didn’t want that to be a reason to lose myself in the process of healing. As a human, I of course have my days in which I miss my hair and the joy it brought me when we had events in the school (former teacher) like “crazy hair day,” and more. I now hold onto those memories and see how strong I really was! How brave I was. The strength it took to get up every morning and choosing to love myself. By having to advocate for my health and adjust to loving myself even more when being told daily by a very flawed school system that being bald was “ugly, weird, uncomfortable for people to be around.” I smile at 22 year old me as memories pop up on my camera roll and see a warrior who was so physically sick, but knew that life had (and still has) so much more to offer than comments surrounding the loss of my hair and “beauty” it carried with me.

March 8, 2023
  • erperezPatient

You described your feelings around hair loss and what it can do to us so beautifully. Loving yourself regardless of others opinions is prime in healing.

March 31, 2023
  • cpramirCare Partner

I must admit, I felt so strongly for you when you lost your hair. I know it was an intrinsic part of your looks. I must admit though, now that I am losing my hair, I am a bit jealous of the gorgeous hair you have now. I know it was a difficult time, but as per you, you turned that negative into a positive and shared your experience so others could benefit.

April 23, 2023