General — CancerLyfe

General

Support System

erperezPatient
Updated January 20, 2023 in General

How do you feel about your support system through treatment?

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• AnnMarieSDBCPatient

My family and friends were amazing. My ex husband was not meant to be a caregiver and unfortunately this is not uncommon. But my best friend is a cancer research scientist and she was with me every step of the way

January 20, 2023
  • erperezPatient

wow! You were so fortunate to have that person with that career in your life. Personally, I don’t know if things would’ve been different had I been diagnosed pre-Covid but I didn’t feel backed up by friends and family and I think Covid might be somewhat of a culprit but I also understand there’s many ways of being present without having to actually be there in person.

January 26, 2023
  • cpramirCare Partner

As a caregiver, I feel my partner and I were blessed we went through his Anal Cancer treatments, both radiation and chemotherapy simultaneously, pre-COVID-19. I feel it is important for both the patients and caregivers to not only have the support of each other, but to seek out good solid help outside of their world too. Hard lessons learned from my experience.

February 15, 2023
  • erperezPatient

I agree. I wish I would've seeked therapy during treatment and not after when the word came crashing down on me. Definitely a hard lesson learned. I also wish the doctors pushed it a little rather than passively mentioning it because as a patient, it is way too many emotions going on at once and we don't always prioritize our emotional health because we're aggressively working on our physical health.

March 31, 2023
  • cpramirCare Partner

Why is that so? My partner and I call these oversights or passive mentions "Capital Secrets." That is why we are trying to spread the word and anyone who asks us about our experience, we try to share all f our hard earned wisdom and experience. I so appreciate you sharing and reminding me that we are not terminally unique erperez!

March 31, 2023