General — CancerLyfe

General

Did you find your cancer or was it a routine check up?

AnnMarieSDBCPatient
Updated January 20, 2023 in General

Rare Cancers must be so different because they are not usually found in a check up. How were you diagnosed?

Tagged:

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• erperezPatient

I felt a tiny, painless, non-visible lump on my neck which eventually brought me to an ENT and was finally diagnosed to be Cancer a couple of months later. Unfortunately, because of my age and healthy appearance no one thought it could be Cancer so we didn't take a more aggressive approach in figuring out what was causing an enlarged lymph node. In these cases, I think taking proactive action on your health is very important as far as seeing doctors when things come up and/or change and really advocating for yourself when you are sent home without a clear answer that doesn't sit well with your intuition. You know your body best.

November 30, 2022
  • AnnMarieSDBCPatient

Your last sentence is spot on! "You know your body best", thank you @erperez for sharing this

November 30, 2022
  • AnnMarieSDBCPatient

@HeatherVSJ how did you find yours?

March 2, 2023
  • HeatherVSJPatient

I had a baby, and never recovered from the c--section. I got progressively more and more sick as the weeks went on and it was abundantly clear that it was not post partum symptoms. The doctor thought I had a heart virus due to the symptoms. We found the tumor after getting a chest x ray. I had over a liter of fluid sitting around my lung and a tumor hanging out in the lower left portion of my left lung. And here I thought I was breathless from being pregnant.. turns out I was growing a baby AND a tumor.

March 2, 2023
  • I actually had a feeling it was because after 9 years of being extremely sick and the year I lost the ability to walk I had a gut feeling it was in fact cancer. I had years and years of doctors telling me that all my symptoms and pain was all in my head and that I needed to see and follow up with a psychiatrist. This psychiatrist was the only one to actually listen, care with genuine compassion, he ran one blood test and a few scans it was then confirmed that it was in fact not in my head.

May 6, 2023