General — CancerLyfe

General

How do you manage on your bad pain days?

February 17, 2023 in General

I have been in a terrible flair of pain over the last few weeks. I just started my fourth cycle of chemo and I always say it’ll be better than the last… Sometimes my optimism gets me too focused on my yearning for the cancer to be gone. And I get flairs like this that make me want to scream. How are you all managing your physical and mental health when the pain is overwhelming and no one around seems to understand?

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• Nathaniel09Patient

Hope these words you during this challenging journey.

February 17, 2023
  • YSarraboPatient

I think as you move on in this journey, you realize the walk-in survival and all that it entails, is one done (at some point) not caring about explaining, it all to everyone around you. On days that pain and discomfort win, I think allowing fatigue to rule for a short time and use that as a signal for rest and regrouping.

February 20, 2023
  • LilmesicanExpert
    Care Partner

Managing Pain

There are days when I wake up and my spirit is ready to soar. My mind is climbing all the barriers that get in my way. Then my body decides not to participate in the group activity.

The conversation goes something like this, bad words are removed for a PG rating.

Me: Mind, Body, Spirit are we ready to take this day on?

Mind: I am thinking of our to-do list and I have prioritized the "must-do" vs the "can-wait" and we will have plenty of time for everything!

Spirit: I have been waiting for a sunny day like today to go outside and get some vitamin D. I feel happy and ready to be productive.

Body: No.

Me: Come on, Body, it will feel great to take a shower, walk around the shops, and maybe grab lunch on a patio somewhere.

Spirit: It will really help me to get some fresh air.

Mind: I am feeling trapped and need to see people.

Me: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO DIFFICULT!!!???

Body: I. Said. No!

Me: Mind and Spirit seems we aren't going anywhere today.

Spirit: Well, I am going dark.

Mind: I think this is the end.

Me: Let's all take a nap.

March 27, 2023
  • That is in fact, the most truth and powerful, well said than many understand in this journey. My spirit need that today.

March 31, 2023