General — CancerLyfe

General

What guidance could be shared about supplements or nutritive support after your treatments?

cpramirCare Partner
February 23, 2023 in General

As a care partner it was extremely difficult to figure out what foods and supplements to utilize after Daniel's treatments were completed. I struggled to optimize his restorative nutrition and overall well being. It was a challenging time particularly with regards to nutrition and what his body could tolerate. The last thing a care partner wants to do is any harm or discomfort to their loved one or patient. Unfortunately, we had to do a lot of difficult hits and misses. What have your experiences been with this side of treatment and recovery? What guidance or advice can you share?

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• YSarraboPatient

I would have to say it can be a hit or miss, as some of the supplements fight against present meds, so you have to be careful with them. I think doing the research is good but always run the possibilities with a doctor as well. I remember wanting to try another route, spoke with my doctor, and he said okay, but if the numbers look funky, I would have to stop that method; well, my method was a failure that did something crazy with my liver so that was that, but it can be a trial and error in most cases.

March 2, 2023
  • cpramirCare Partner

Yes, it all seems tore trial and error for both of us. I recently have been told the supplement I am taking is not worth the bottle it comes in. I am going to do some research because I would like to get maximum benefits from a multi-vitamin to ensure my body and Daniel's get all they need to be functioning at their best.

March 3, 2023
  • LilmesicanExpert
    Care Partner

Nutrition Support

When I started treatment it was suggested that I go on a protein diet, mostly premixed drinks. I never liked those, I had tried them when I was diagnosed with AIDS and disliked the flavor.

At the end of treatment, it was recommended that I start taking them again. I did not want to. The flavor, the consistency, the flavor. (Did I say that twice?) Eating anything else was very difficult so one morning I decided to drink one.

I was so sick, this is going to sound dramatic but I nearly fainted, I was weak, and could not get the taste out of my mouth. I came home from radiation and slept most of the day.

Was it all the drink, probably not, but for the sake of the conversation I am going to say 'yes'! Then one morning I was craving bean & salsa tacos and one of my friends brought me two.

My appetite came back, I was able to eat, and my nutritionist was not too happy about my choice, but I was eating and that was the goal. Slowly I starting more foods my mother would make for me.

Nutrition, the traditional way or the way we are told doesn't work for all so do what works for you and I hope you feel better. For the sake of following nutritionist guidelines: eat fruits and vegetables and exercise. 💁

March 27, 2023
  • YSarraboPatient

Yep, sometimes we want so much to go with the alternative that may or may not help us along the way, but be mindful of the possibilities of negative results.

March 31, 2023