General — CancerLyfe

General

Do you still get that metal taste in your mouth from chemo?

AnnMarieSDBCPatient
Updated January 20, 2023 in General

Every now and then I get that metal taste in my mouth and it sends me right back. 😔

Tagged:

1 - 3 of 3 Other Answers

• LilmesicanExpert
    Care Partner

My last day of chemo was July 4, 2015, and there were certain foods that I ate during treatment that I don't eat much anymore, such as oranges. I ate oranges regularly before cancer. My parent's ranch was part of an orchard, we grew up with oranges.

I was told before I started treatment to not eat what I really liked because it may not taste good. One day we ordered lunch and it came with an orange slice and it looked too good to not eat it.

MISTAKE!!!

It was the sourest taste I had ever tasted. My boyfriend Christian was gushing about how delicious it was. I was sad at the thought that I may never taste oranges the same way.

After all this time has passed I still crave oranges but they never taste as sweet as I think they will. Although Christian will claim how delicious it is. So to answer your question, YES!

I get that taste in my mouth when I eat an orange. I usually think of the knock-knock joke. "Orange who?", "Orange you glad it isn't a banana?" 😜🍊🍌

January 18, 2023
  • HeatherVSJPatient

It creeps up every so often, but it's only with certain foods.

February 24, 2023
  • YSarraboPatient

I'm very grateful never to have had to experienced this.

March 31, 2023