General — CancerLyfe

General

Cancer Free???

AnnMarieSDBCPatient
March 8, 2023 in General

I have always disliked the term "cancer free", our fear never goes away even if you are stable or "NED". I have changed the definition to those "cancer free moments" in life. Those moments when you are not feeling or thinking about cancer. Those are the moments I live for! How about you?

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• LilmesicanExpert
    Care Partner

I believe the term "Cancer Free" was created for healthcare professionals, caregivers, and friends & family to hold on to hope that we will live forever, or at the very least for a while longer.

I agree that cancer lives in our thoughts long after cancer has been removed. It lives in muscle memory when something feels odd in our bodies. For sure it lives in our spirit when we look at ourselves in the mirror and realize what it took from us.

Although there are many moments in the day that I don't think about cancer it only takes one thought to change my mood. I work hard to keep my mind, body, and spirit aligned.

March 13, 2023
  • cpramirCare Partner

AnnMarieSDBC, thank you so much for your insight on this term. I asked Daniel about the use of this term and how he feels about it, and realized it is a very personal and unique thing. I can agree with his thought that the term "Caner Free" is most definitely a term created for healthcare professionals.

March 29, 2023
  • HeatherVSJPatient

I used to think differently... that I was cancer free... but knowing what I know now about my disease, I use NED... or stable.. those are the terms my medical team uses... I guess use whatever makes you feel best right?? But yeah, once you have cancer and dealt with the fallout, you are never cancer free... I like what you said AnnMarie, "cancer-free moments"... that feels better..

March 29, 2023