General — CancerLyfe

General

Did you find all your doctors treated or treat you equitably?

cpramirCare Partner
March 31, 2023 in General

I have a new doctor, which is always difficult to manage. Even though the doctors have my medical file, I feel I must reiterate everything in the file to the doctor and their teams. I am a former 535-pound man who has lost 256 plus pounds. Of course, I am still overweight, but not as horrible and I am no longer considered morbidly obese, which I remember years ago celebrating as a wonderful accomplishment. Well, all my doctors since continue to tell me I am overweight and a Type 2 Diabetic, as if I do not know this facts, White Coat Syndrome (WCS) is a psychological condition where I go into a high stress and anxiety state at the doctor’s office, almost like a form of Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD), and my blood pressure is always sky high. I always try to be logical with the nurses and doctors and explain that if my blood pressure were consistently as high as they are reading, I would have many symptoms and probably stroked out by now, but of course logic does not work. The doctors then feel it is necessary to go through the possible consequences of being a Type 2 Diabetic, which I am more than aware of 20 plus years being a Type 2 Diabetic. Fear tactics have never been an efficient way to make a point with me. I come from some extreme abuse in my childhood, so I filter fear differently than many people do. I am so frustrated by continually jumping through these medical hoops. Luckily tomorrow is a new day and I will commit to my best self-care and surrender my will to my higher power. What do you do to manage or resolve inequitable treatment from doctors?

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• I could talk about this one for years. No, I have, and still don’t get equitable treatment.

I make sure I speak up and speak out and make sure that the doctors document their refusal to help and or do further research/testing. This is one way to hold them accountable. Being a nonbinary human, especially in the world of medicine, not many doctors are even compassionate or caring. Not to say that there are not doctors who don't advocate for their patients. My way of being able to cope with that is always writing, documenting and speaking up, even if it seems like, I am being too “bossy” to be fair. This is my life and I deserve equitable care. Everyone should.

April 1, 2023
  • cpramirCare Partner

Yes! This is wonderful wisdom to share and a great example of the assertive fierceness that is needed at times or all the time to ensure you are treated with respect, dignity, and with appropriate medical care for your needs. Thank you so much for sharing your strength and wisdom!

April 1, 2023
  • Yeah, it is really hard. Though, if I don’t do it for myself, who will? There has to be a better solution for all of the medical neglect and inequitable treatment from doctors. Gosh. To have to be the strongest person and advocate for not only myself, but also be holding doctors we should trust accountable… exhausting. I’m very exhausted.

April 2, 2023
  • YSarraboPatient

The bureaucracy of it all. It's a continual back and forth, with plenty of follow-ups that frankly many patients don't have the push to bother. In most cases, some feel the only effort they have is to follow with minimal questions and go with the flow. It's a good idea to let all doctors know what you have going on, some are better than others but constantly remind them that your situation is different because you have cancer, so put it out there to make them accountable for paying attention.

April 13, 2023
  • cpramirCare Partner

YSarrabo, thank you for sharing your wisdom. This is truly great guidance. :-)

April 13, 2023
  • cpramirCare Partner

I often said to my partner that self-advocating must be the most challenging thing to do FightingRARE_1472. This is where I believe there should be some form of support for patients who do not have a person to advocate for them. It seems as if having cancer and moving through the treatments should be all the patient has to manage. I will have to do some research into this matter to see if something like a support network exists. Thank you so much for being open and sharing your truth FightingRARE_1472!

April 13, 2023