General — CancerLyfe

General

Guilt from having to rest. Anyone else?

May 12, 2023 in General

I went to the doctors today and was told that I needed MORE rest for my body to heal. I feel like I’ve been resting for what it seems like forever. Though, I know rest never has to be earned. I am though getting very frustrated at my body for wanting to do so much more, when in my body is wanting to do more than it’s physical limits.

Is resting hard for you? Do you feel guilt as a patient when you have to rest in order to get better?

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• AnnMarieSDBCPatient

I totally relate to this! It is hard to let that guilt go. I have found the best solution is to schedule this into your day like an appointment you can not miss

June 5, 2023
  • cpramirCare Partner

I have not been a patient, but as a caregiver, I felt incredible guilt when I needed to take my two days a week to be away from Daniel, so I could emote and recenter myself before returning to his side to take care of him. Even though I always came back renewed and in good shape emotionally and physically to offer him optimum care, I still felt terrible that I needed those two days of retreat...

June 6, 2023
  • SorossiniPatient

I love what AnnMarie said about scheduling it into my day. I started doing this too!

This also ties in with the discussion about honoring yourself, and one way I honor myself (particularly when I get stuck in that thought cycle about rest) is talking to myself like I’m talking to a friend. I know it sounds goofy, but I was shocked to realize how much kinder I am to my friends than I am to myself! It also effectively breaks that anxious thought cycle, at least for a little while.

June 16, 2023
  • Jbullock56Patient

I remember when I was first diagnosed with cancer. The first time my wife told me that I needed to go rest after a long day of appointments. It hit me that I must really be sick. It was the first time I’ve actually seen myself that way. She didn’t do anything wrong at that moment but just hit me that I was then a cancer patient . I think as treatments progress. I just learned to accept my limitations.

even though I am four years from my last chemotherapy . I’m still dealing with late afternoon fatigue, and some neuropathy. I think I’ve learned to just accept the inevitable and allow my body to rest when I need it. I just don’t try an over think it.

July 1, 2023