General — CancerLyfe

General

Does anyone else have "cancellation guilt."

samanthadeanExpert
Patient
October 3, 2023 in General

My immune system is weaker than it was pre-cancer, and I never know how I'm going to feel day-to-day. I'm finally making plans with friends again, but I feel so guilty and flakey when I have to cancel because I just can't do it. I'm not in treatment anymore and get so discouraged when I can't keep up with my pre-cancer self.

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• lescp3Care Partner

As a support partner, I get SAD when "my patient" does NOT cancel when she is tired. We DO understand. We don't know exactly what is going on inside and only you do. Trust that those who know and love you WILL understand and appreciate that you need to take care of you.

October 3, 2023
  • KarinPatient

@lescp3 makes so much sense and often as a patient you don’t think enough about your loved ones / please excuse your friend or family member / he or she may just be trying very hard to show that she/he can do what she/he believes others can do and what is expected! The other component is that canceling creates guilt and that may not be what your friend wants to experience too often. The third reason may be that your friend cannot fully estimate what is going to hurt him/her and that is going to be ok…

October 28, 2023