General — CancerLyfe

General

Support System

CamilleOther
November 16, 2023 in General

Who or what has been your biggest support through diagnosis, active treatment, or remission? What challenges have you faced with relationship dynamics?

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• lescp3Care Partner

For "our" journey, it was the oncologist who recommended complementary care in addition to traditional treatments.

As well, having someone side-by-side taking notes and asking questions seems quite valuable (full disclosure - i was that person!) It seemed hard to take in the diagnosis and simultaneously ask questions and plan a few steps ahead.

November 28, 2023
  • KarinPatient

I think relationships change over time in a regular person but especially for someone going through illness - I have seen that my relative weakness attracted a certain kind of person vs my strength another / and hard to bridge!

November 28, 2023
  • CamilleOther

Such a great insight. I feel like chronic/intense illness takes aspects of natural life and throws them into warp speed. Like you said, all relationships evolve, shift, and change but when something like cancer comes into play, the changes move from ripples to tsunamis 😂

November 28, 2023
  • CamilleOther

Caretakers have such a huge undertaking we don’t talk about enough. I have found this very big role tends to fall on one person’s shoulders and it can be very tough to manage.

November 28, 2023