Solid Tumor Malignancies — CancerLyfe

Solid Tumor Malignancies

Getting Treatment

November 28, 2022 in Solid Tumor Malignancies

What should a patient do to prepare for treatment? What questions should they ask?

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• AnnMarieSDBCPatient

Depends on the treatment. But for chemo make sure you see an eye doctor and dentist. Both are dramatically affected by chemo. Prepare for burns with radiation by having creams available.

November 29, 2022
  • LilmesicanExpert
    Care Partner

Preparing for Treatment

If you search 'just found out I have cancer now what' there are about 2,060,000,000. If you search 'how to prepare for chemo and radiation' there are about 3,660,000 results. If you search 'what to expect during chemo & radiation' there are about 24,500,000 results.

In all those posts there are some things that I learned during my timeline with cancer that I can share here. These are things I wish I had done from the visit where I got my diagnosis.

• Take someone with you (I did have my partner)
    • Record the conversation (you will miss things)
    • Get a therapist (ASAP and that knows about cancer)
    • Set up a wishlist online (send folks the link when asked what you need)
    • Set up a support group (your caregiver will need a break and help)
    • Set boundaries (what are good times to visit or call. Will texting be better)
    • Social media page or online journal (you or your caregiver can post updates)
    • Take photos (it will chronicle your journey)
    • Go odorless (cleaners, fabric softeners, soaps)
    • Hold off on your favorite foods (avoid your favorites until after treatment)

Those are the ones that popped up at the moment, I will add more as I think about them.

March 18, 2023